Friday, August 31, 2012

who's going to the alameda flea market on sunday? {i am!}

The first Sunday of the month is approaching this weekend, and that only means one thing: the Alameda Pointe Antique Faire (yes, that is the offical name, it’s not a “flea market”). My mom and I are planning to get there around 6:00 am, and Shawn is meeting up with us later in the day. My mother cannot wait for this flea market. She had so much success at the last Alameda flea market, and she’s hungry for more! 

This got me thinking about my first time at a flea market. I went with my friend Megan, who has mad bargaining skills, and we spotted this beautiful, carved, wooden screen. I wanted it so bad. We asked how much the seller wanted, and he said $100. Ugh. But somehow, Megan (who’s birthday is this weekend!) swindled the price down to $40! This is by far one of my favorite pieces of furniture in my collection. 

As I continued to go to the flea markets, my bargaining got better, and so did my eye for “diamonds in the rough”. I’m always a sucker for mirrors and frames. But I also love those unusual pieces that everyone seems to walk by. Case in point, the beautiful, beaded chandelier, shown below. It’s the most expensive item I’ve ever bought at a flea market, with a $100 price tag. Ouch, I know. What flea markets are you going to this weekend? What are some favorite pieces you have bought from a flea market? I’d love to hear!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...